6.05.2010

What We're Doing

Ronnie (my HS coach) and I are starting a program at Marion to incorporate special needs students onto the cheerleading squad with a core group of his current girls. They will be called "The Shining Stars" - the perfect name Ronnie thought of! The girls who started The Sparkle Effect can be read about here. Why would I be doing this, you may ask. Well, Marion has a special needs program in place, but the integration system is a bit lacking. Also, until the past couple of years, I was not very conscious about my language or my actions. I think it will be a good experience for the girls already on the cheerleading squad to become more conscious about the way they live and speak.

Currently, we are just waiting for an official "OK" from Mr. Bragg, although he has already told us we could get things rolling. Ronnie and I met Thursday to discuss some things. We're in the process of getting the newspaper to do a story so that we can get the word out there and get some girls interested in the program. I've actually already got one girl who wants to be involved - so exciting! We also went to ProPrints and talked to Keaton's mom about some t-shirt ideas and prices. We've talked to some individuals and companies interested in sponsoring us financially so that we can offer this to the girls free of charge. That's about as far as things are as of now. So until next time, peace :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment